- 1 Bar Fels Naptha Soap
- 1 cup Borax
- 1 cup Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
- Water
Tools:
- 5 gallon container
- Cheese Grater
- Pot
- Long stirring stick/spoon (for 5 gallon container)
Pour 6 cups of water in the pot and heat it just shy of boiling. You want it warm enough to melt the soap, but not enough to boil over. While the water is warming up, grate the bar of soap into small pieces. Add the shredded soap to the pot of heated water. Stir the mixture until the soap is completely melted.
Once the soap is melted, add 1 cup Borax and 1 cup Washing Soda to the melted soap mixture. Stir until dissolved. (It's really easy to let the soap boil over. I used an extra large pot to prevent the extra mess.) Pour 3 gallons of hot water into the 5-gallon container, then add in the melted soap mixture.
Optional Fragrance: I really liked the Fels soap smell, so I didn't feel the need to add anything. If you prefer to have a pleasant scent to your homemade laundry detergent, you may add a few drops of essential oils. The amount of fragrance added is strictly of personal preference.
Now that everything is mix and dissolved, you'll have a 5 gallon container of soapy water. Cover it and place it somewhere it won't be disturbed. Let it cool overnight. It will begin to gel as it cools. It does not gel uniformly so the next day it will look like Egg Drop soup (remarkably accurate!). You will want to store your homemade laundry detergent in smaller containers. Start out using 1/2 detergent per load, add a bit more if you feel the need. On your clothes, I use 2/3 cup.
I did a ton of research to make sure it was combatible with our brand new High Efficiency washer. It is low sudsing so it worked fine. In my research, I also found suggestions to use white vinegar in hard water areas. I've been putting about 1/4 cup white vinegar in the fabric softener slot. Apparently that helps the soap wash out as well as preventing calcium build up in the washer lines.
Wow, you are a wonder woman! Doing this AND being pregnant - amazing!
ReplyDeleteNot to put a downer on this great idea, but here's my question. I knew Jaime and Liz did this, and I have had other friends try it, but I have some friends who claim that after a few months of using their homemade laundry soap their clothes were looking dingy and dull and that the homemade laundry soap didn't clean as well. True or myth? I have one very frugal friend who swears that she saves more money buying her laundry soap because she doesn't have to replace her clothes as often. Are those friends of mine just crazy? I kinda hope so, because I can't believe how much money you can save by making your own detergent! Maybe Jaime and Liz, who have been using their homemade detergent for awhile, have some insight on this, too...
Either way, what a great lesson for your kids! You are such a wonderful mom!
Elena! Thank you for posting this!!! I have been wanting to do this but this has given me the push! Is Arm & Hammer washing soda the same as their baking soda (comes in a huge orange bag at the bulk places)? I have borax but have never heard of Fels Naptha. Is that a specialty type thing? Should I be able to get it at normal places? Anyway--thanks for posting...
ReplyDeleteuh... this is your Wymount upstairs/across the hall neighbor :). You can click on my name to get to my blog/user info stuff if I'm making you nervous...
what the heck??!!! who knew you could even do this. oh, don't worry, i am SO doing this! thanks so much for the know-how.
ReplyDeleteHey Jen
ReplyDeleteIt is actually getting my clothes cleaner then when I used Tide. Maybe they had a different recipe? I made the soap when pregnant. It is actually easy to do.
Thanks, Tara, for your comment! I also heard from Jaime that it is awesome and does not fade or hurt her clothes! I am soooo making some of this soon. I think my friend was either crazy or used a different recipe, so I am glad to try out this one!
ReplyDeleteYou are ALL amazing!
Wow!! I've never heard of this but what a GREAT idea!! I have Borax and Fels Naptha (best kept secret of laundry and stains and *ahem* arpit stains) I'm totally going to try this. We are taking our first real trip this summer (we are going to Hawaii - dream come true) and I'm trying to find as many ways as possible to save money. I'm trying to see if I can save enough money to pay for the trip with coupons and this kind of stuff! THANK YOU for this idea!!
ReplyDelete