Dear Kariah,
The last few days have been hard for us, Daughter. I daresay we have even snarled at each other a few times. It's not your fault, you are attempting to grow incisors and I'm sure the resulting pain is very uncomfortable. It's not my fault, I have about 50 butterflies in my tummy and they seem to multiplying by the hour. So together, we make quite a pair.
Why the butterflies Mommy?, you ask. Well, Daughter sit down. I have a story for you.
When Mommy was little all she wanted to do was be like her big brother and sister, your Uncle Mick and Auntie (Noel). They were 12 and 9 years older than me and the epitome of cool in my little eyes. In the height of 80s coolness, they did drama at the local high school. When I got to be a 3rd grader or so, that drama club needed some cute kids and I volunteered in hopes of being just that cool.
That continued until my freshman year of high school when I got to do my own plays and found I was reasonably talented. And I really really liked being on stage. One performance was a dinner show. I found myself with two other girls in 50s prom dresses, doing a 50s song and dance. My dad, your Grampa Ken, laughed so hard he cried. I was very very proud. And completely hooked on the stage.
My sophomore year I moved to a new high school that had a big beautiful stage but no one to use it. The drama teacher was way more into "techie gear" than Shakespeare. Knowing no limits, I simply wrote and directed my own shows. I went to drama camp during the summer and grew and grew (well not literally, sorry you have my height genes, but figuratively, in the drama world).
Till I went to Arizona State and majored in theatre. I thought I would act, I never questioned that. I didn't get any parts but I didn't worry because I was still a freshman. I tried out for a Tempe community theater production of "Fools" by Neil Simon which I had acted in twice and directed myself. And I didn't get the part. I was crushed.
I felt if I couldn't get that part, I obviously must not be any good. Little did I know at the time that community theatre is very much a clique and invariably pre-cast. I decided to change my major to business (why? no clue) but then started to question my math abilities (again, why? Baby Girl never question your ability.)
I decided to stay with theatre and switch to the backstage. It was a long path though. I really didn't fit in with the theatre crowd, the majority of them were east coasters that seemed to have their own language and culture. I didn't smoke so I didn't get that bonding time on the back steps with all of the professors. And I tried to not curse, which is really dang hard when your college homework is to memorize and perform a scene using really bad language. In a program of 1,000 students there was only one other Mormon. And let's face it, he may have worn a CTR ring but....no.
So, I became a stage manager. And a darn good one. By my senior year I was managing for the Dance Dept and Valley Youth Theater and the Black Theatre Troupe (still makes me laugh), doing 2-3 shows at one time while doing school.
The plan was I would graduate in Dec '99, right before my 20th birthday. I would stage-manage on cruise ships so I could see earn great money and see the world. I would pay off all my student loans and then come home and see what happens.
Then in Dec '98, I met your Daddy. And my world turned upside down.
I'm sitting on the edge of my seat!!! so WHY do you have butterflies right now? i can't wait for Part 2!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I love the trip down memory lane. Second of all, I can't believe there are parts of that story I didn't know. I'm waiting with my popcorn (okay it's really ice cream) for part 2. PS You will do amazing!
ReplyDelete